Thursday 21 June 2012

Bread and Brie

Sometimes I go all folksy and have a need to bake bread.  This usually coincides with a urge to eat brie.  So yesterday, I bought a wedge of brie and then got out my bread making equipment.  I have Mr Jamie Oliver for the chocolate bread swirl inspiration:  Here goes!
500g strong bread flour
7g yeast
325 ml warm water
10g oil
pinch of sugar & pinch of salt

Mix to make a stiff dough


Kneed (my favorite part, especially when thinking about Jimmy Carrs tax bill) for 10 minutes until elastic.

Cut into 2 portions and leave for 45 minutes, covered with a clean tea towel, in a warm spot.

Once the mixture has doubled in size, flatten 1 loaf and coat with chocolate spread, then roll up swiss roll style and slice into inch long swirls.

Place the other loaf on a layer of greaseproof paper, and place the swirls next to it, leaving about 1.5 inches between each swirl.  Cook at gas mark 8 for 15 mins and then reduce the temperature to gas mark 6 for another 15. 

Allow to cool, then eat asap 

As this bread contains no preservatives it needs to be eaten the same day as it is made - if not you can toast it!!

My children love the chocolate bread - I love my homemade bread, especailly with Brie!


1 comment: